Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sharing my heart...

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I see it's been about 3 weeks since I last posted. December was a crazy month here.... with family get togethers, a card making project I was honoured to work on, and an emotional Christmas. I really just needed a few weeks away from blogging.

As many of you know, I made and sent weekly cards of encouragement to my husband's uncle for 15 months during his chemo treatments and continued battle with cancer (which ended just over a week ago on Christmas Day). He was a wonderful man and godly example to me of trusting God during the most difficult times of life. A few of you may know that I started to struggled with anxiety 4 years ago (which I now know was mostly related to undiagnosed Celiac disease). The way my anxiety showed itself was through fear of cancer.... to the degree that I thought every little health issue was a symptom of cancer and couldn't handle hearing anything about cancer. This was a dark and scary time for me, full of fear, and one I hope and pray I don't relive. Our uncle was diagnosed just weeks after my anxiety began... and although treatable it wasn't curable. He faced his new challenge with such an amazing attitude and taught me so much about living life and facing death with the grace and peace that only God can provide. I will never forget this most valuable and life changing lesson or the man who taught it by way of his example.

I didn't take pictures of every card I sent him but I did take pictures of some of them. Here's one that I don't believe I've shared yet.



Thank you for letting me share my heart today.
Hugs,
Sarah

9 comments:

Nancy said...

What a lovely thing you did for your uncle; your cards for him were always just right. Even in the sadness of his absence there is joy in knowing that he has heard his "well done" from the Lord and as Paul said, it is far better to be present with the Lord. Thank you for sharing your heart, Sarah.

Vicky said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us Sarah! What you did for you uncle was so sweet. At hard times like this sharing is the best you can do. Bless you and your family and may 2012 will bring anything you wish for!

Lin said...

It's something we all have to face in our lives, both for our loved ones and for ourselves. So sorry that last year was so difficult, but I hope that you can move forward with peace, knowing that God always knows best for each of us. Sending hugs, Sarah!

Agata said...

I hope and wish and pray that your anxieties will be taken away by the Lord... Such a sweet thing to do to send cards to your uncle! I'm sorry to hear about his lost battle... Hugs to you!

Judy1223 said...

I'm sure every card you sent your uncle brought a smile to his face and a warm feeling in his heart. Hold tight to God's comforting words, "Do not be afraid...do not be afraid." May the new year be filled with peace and joy, free from all anxieties. Thank you for sharing your heart with us...you are a very giving person in so many ways!

Krista Ritskes said...

Sarah, you are amazing, you know that? The fact that you are so willing to share your struggles and your heart with everyone, is amazing. You create all this beautiful artwork while homeschooling 4 kids, amazing. You are a witness to the entire crafting community, amazing. Love you loads.

Krista Ritskes said...

Oh, and your card was showcased on Paper Crafts Connection, did you know? http://www.papercraftsconnection.com/blog/2012/01/new-year-new-column-stamp-it-techniques/

Maureen Morton said...

Love this card, which I know brought comfort. Great design with the patterned paper. I have a similar life-altering loss with my dear college friend who died from AIDS. He taught me so much about life as he lost his. His gift was a blessing! Thanks for sharing.

Linda E said...

I am sure your cards and your love were of great comfort to your uncle. My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac disease two years ago at the age of 12 so I am well aware of the anxiety it brings. If I can be of any help to you, please let me know. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.